Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fetus Heartbeat

"When will be the earliest you can see the fetus heartbeat?" 

That was the question I was asked yesterday by someone very dear to me. 

She went to the gynae yesterday and she was told that the fetus' heartbeat could not be seen. And she's at 7 weeks of her pregnancy. And the gynae told her that if the fetus' heartbeat still could not be seen at 8 weeks, then she might want to consider "washing" the fetus out. In other words, "aborting" the fetus. She also gave the option of going for a 2nd opinion. 

My heart wrenched. Even though it's such a tiny little "bean", but it's a life growing in the womb. And I believe the mother would have felt the bond and connection to the little one, even though it may just be 7 weeks.

I remembered the pain and anxiety and worry I went through with my first pregnancy. My first visit was at 6 weeks, and all I could see in the ultrasound was a tiny little white dot. My next appointment was at 8 weeks, and the gynae (the same one) told me that the heartbeat couldn't be seen. She also said the same thing to me about "washing the fetus out" if still cannnot see the heartbeat the next week.

I went home and cried. It was supposed to be such a joyous occasion, but it was marred by the uncertainty of the life of the little fetus in me. 

The week seemed to pass so slowly, and finally when it was time to visit the gynae again, my heart and footsteps were so heavy as I neared the clinic. 

And when I was checked, I finally saw that little pumping action of the "heart". So faint, so tiny.

But there's no mistake. My fetus heart was beating.

I cried again, this time in relief and joy. 

I totally can understand how that someone dear to me felt. 

So, to find the answer to the question asked above, here are the answers from the pregnancy and baby websites and forums, and from experts and experienced mummies: 

1. The fetus heart will start beating about 5-6 weeks. 

2. Some may see the heart beating at 6 weeks, others could be only able to see from 7-10 weeks. 

3. Some was asked to "abort" the fetus because the heartbeat could not be heard even at 10 weeks. However, they chose to wait and at 14 weeks, the fetus heartbeat could been seen and the pregnancy went well.

4. It's a standard practice for OBGyn to give the options in the event of such cases. Better to get a 2nd opinion and wait. 

5. If ever there's anything wrong, your body would have "told" you so, such as bleeding and cramps. If there are no such symptoms, don't ever "force" an "abortion".

6. You can only HEAR the fetus heartbeat after 12 weeks.

7. Lastly, don't stress yourself. Stress would add on to your body and affect the fetus. 


References : 
www.pregnancyandbaby.com
www.babycenter.com
www.pregnancyweekly.com
www.askbaby.com
www.pregnancy-info.net

No comments: