Sunday, January 6, 2008

Traditional Beliefs

I remembered when I was pregnant with my firstborn, I watched a documentary about the different "beliefs" by different races for child-bearing.

What I remembered was this malay lady who was pregant with her fourth child, recommending pregnant ladies to drink young coconut juice.

I was surprised as I was "taught" by my mother and relatives that coconut is "too cooling" (just like cucumber, according to the Chinese belief), thus not suitable to drink during pregnancy. And it may harm the baby.

My mum was not really for it when I told her about drinking the young coconut's juice in the 3rd trimester of the pregnancy. But I decided to go ahead as the malay lady mentioned that all her children was born with "fair complexion" and very "clean". And since she already had 3 children to "prove" her saying, I was game to try.

And sure enough, my baby boy came out very "clean", no blood, no dirt, no poo, and very fair complexion.

So I am drinking young coconut juice again this time round for my pregnancy, and hopefully my baby will come out the same as my firstborn. And my mum was the one who went around to buy the young coconuts for me. (thank goodness for my mother!)

Another belief according to the Chinese is that you will have a big and fat baby by eating durians during your preganancy. I have heard a few accounts of friends and relatives who ate durians when they were pregnant, and the baby came out "huge".

My baby was very small and underweight, according to my gynae. So in order to "plump" her up, I was eating durians as a weekly routine. Not that I detest it, in fact I love durians! :-)

And sure enough, my baby girl came out plumped up more than my boy. (My hubby and I were joking that she might come out looking all "beefed up" like the Hulk!)

There are so many different beliefs of what is good for pregnant ladies or for those who have just given birth. Some I agree on, some I disagree.

No comments: